Mobile technologies have become actively used in all spheres of human activity today, including business. They serve as a means of attracting and retaining consumers. Due to notifications in mobile applications, it becomes possible to inform customers about impending sales, promotions, new offers, etc. An important advantage of a mobile application is that it generates only the right target audience because people who are obviously not interested in the company’s product simply will not install the application.
However, mobile phones in today’s world are not just a means of communication, but a device that contains sensitive personal data, unauthorized access to which can lead to unpredictable results. At the moment, modern protection tools do not allow to fully resolve the security issues of mobile systems and assess the possible risks of potential malicious actions. Therefore, the issue of security is more relevant than ever.
It is important to ensure the security of a mobile application already at the development stage. If you are interested in how to build language learning app, ensuring its high security, follow the link and get answers to your exciting questions. In this article, you will learn more about the main vulnerabilities that affect mobile devices and get useful tips on how to make a learning app more secure.
What Is Mobile Application Security and Why Is It Important When You Create a Language App?
Mobile app security is the practice of protecting valuable apps and your digital identity from various types of fraudulent attacks. This includes tampering, malware, reverse engineering, key loggers, etc. A comprehensive mobile app security strategy includes technology solutions, as well as best practices and corporate processes.
As mobile devices became widespread throughout the world, application security quickly became important. It is of paramount importance today. Otherwise, an insecure app like duolingo is an easy route for the malicious act of stealing and selling the personal information of both the owner and users.
Make Your Own Language App and Protect It from Major Security Threats
How to make a language learning app as safe as possible? First of all, you need to know about the main threats. Consider the list below:
- Implementation. Vulnerabilities related to SQL, NoSQL, OS, and LDAP injection occur, for example, when unverified data is sent to the interpreter as part of a command or query. Malicious data can force the interpreter to execute unintended commands or access data without passing the appropriate authorization;
- Authentication flaws. The app functions related to authentication and session management can be implemented incorrectly. This allows attackers to compromise passwords, keys, or session tokens, as well as exploit other implementation errors to temporarily or permanently intercept user accounts;
- Disclosure of confidential data. Many web applications and APIs have poor security for sensitive financial, medical, or personal data. Attackers can steal or change this data, and then carry out fraudulent actions with credit cards or personal data;
- External XML Entities (XXE). Poorly configured XML processors handle external entity references within documents. These entities can be used to access internal files through file URI handlers, shared folders, port scanning, remote code execution, and denial of service;
- Access control flaws. The actions allowed to authenticated users are often incorrectly controlled. Attackers can take advantage of these weaknesses and gain unauthorized access to other users’ accounts;
- Incorrect security settings. This is due to the use of standard security settings, incomplete or specific configuration, open cloud storage, incorrect HTTP headers, etc. All operating systems, frameworks, libraries, and applications must not only be properly configured but also corrected and updated in a timely manner;
- Using components with known vulnerabilities. The exploitation of a vulnerable component can result in data loss or server takeover. The use of components with known vulnerabilities and APIs can compromise the protection of the application and lead to serious consequences;
- Disadvantages of logging and monitoring. The lack of logging and monitoring, as well as the absence or ineffective use of an incident response system, allows attackers to develop an attack, penetrate other systems, as well as change, extract, or destroy data.
Thus, the list of threats to mobile applications is quite large. Find out below how to make an app like duolingo as protected as possible.
Best Security Practices on How to Create a Language Learning App
If you have your own brand, then you are probably thinking about the question “How to code a language learning app and make it safe for users and the company itself?”. Below are several good practices to reduce the risk of mobile attacks and data breaches.
Conduct Digital Security Training
Training of digital security personnel is an important element in organizing a protection system against various attacks on the company’s information resources. Therefore, train your team to recognize security issues and avoid risky behavior, phishing detection, and other cybersecurity strategies.
Acceptable Use Policy
It is helpful for enterprises to publish a clear and comprehensive acceptable use policy for mobile devices that contain or access business data. Employees should be prohibited from downloading apps from third-party app stores. Additionally, you can create an application review process to formally review and select suitable and secure applications for your team.
Proactive Monitoring for Unauthorized Applications
Try to regularly monitor apps that show your organization’s name, logo, or messaging. Prevent the distribution of such applications, and apply for their instant removal.
Provide Advanced Security Practices
Each application should be developed based on security requirements. Make sure your developers know mobile app security best practices and frameworks. Conduct regular automated security testing of mobile applications within the framework, as well as periodic deeper penetration testing. Finally, deploy an additional layer of security to protect your application in potentially hostile environments with a lot of threats.
The development of learning apps like duolingo is not an easy task in itself. It requires good knowledge and skills from specialists, as well as perseverance, attentiveness, and responsibility. Ensuring the security of a mobile application is one of the most important issues. After all, if even the most effective application is not properly protected, it will not be able to bring benefits to users.
It is recommended to take care of the security of the application at the stage of its development. It is also important to conduct digital security training for employees and ensure the reliable operation of the application. Apply the best security practices described in this article and forget about any threats right now!