You’d buy the LG Wing if it was a bit cheaper
There’s no denying that the LG Wing is a risky purchase. Even in the world of foldable phones and clip-on screens, LG’s latest device is unlike any other we’ve seen before. The practicality of the design is debatable, but it will likely appeal to first-time adopters, collectors, and those who want something different.
One thing that can hold the wing back is its price. At $ 999, you pay as much for the novelty as you pay for the phone’s intelligence. And if you have to compete with the OnePlus 8 Pro and Galaxy S20 Plus, the price may not quite justify your party tricks.
In a recent survey, we asked readers if this is actually the case. Would you buy the Wing if LG rated it a little cheaper? Here’s what you told us:
Would you buy the LG Wing if it were cheaper?
It is true that any device would be more attractive at a lower price, but some readers would like the price of the LG Wing to be lowered half.
42.6% of voters would buy the wing if it cost $ 500 instead of $ 999. These readers will be happy to know that LG devices will depreciate significantly over time, but it is not yet clear whether this trend will affect the latest experimental phones.
Some readers didn’t ask for a huge price cut. 26.4% of readers say they would buy the Wing if it retailed for $ 700. That drop would bring it closer to the LG Velvet’s $ 599 price point. But at that price, it’s the same price as the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE and Pixel 5. These two devices would arguably be a smarter investment if you were willing to overlook their shortcomings.
After all, 31% would not buy the LG Wing even if it was cheaper. It’s definitely a divisive form factor!
Here’s what you had to say
- EspHack: There are no bad products, only bad prices.
- Justbob: I’m amazed at all the negative comments. It clearly does not appeal to everyone. But the same glass plates in a spec race have gotten boring. Hopefully LG will refine this idea further and hopefully drive further innovations from LG and others.
- Isaac YouTube: I’ll buy it on eBay someday when it’s cheap and has a cool phone for a fraction of the selling price
- Dan Pan: I would buy the wing if it were available in Australia. Do not need a price drop. There should be options that say you are happy with the price or that you cannot buy it on-site from the survey!
- AnySmarterIdRunLinux: I would buy the Wing if it didn’t rotate, had a ~ 6 inch screen, a large battery (over 5000 mAh), and a headphone jack. In fact, I’ll buy the next phone that meets these specs.
- meh …: Give us a hardware keyboard underneath and I’ll be there.
- KRB: I applaud LG for trying to be original, but I think they need to work on their software first. I had LG phones and had to help family members who had LG phones. LG almost stumbles on itself with its convoluted software compared to the simplicity of my Moto.
That’s it for our LG Wing price survey! Thank you to everyone who voted and commented. If you have any other thoughts about the swivel phone, its ideal price, or the results of this survey, drop these below.