UFC 254 takes place this Saturday. At the top of the menu is the biggest fight of 2020: an easy unification competition betweenand .
It could also be the most compelling match of the year from a style standpoint.
Nurmagomedov stands in one corner: the most dominant champion in UFC history. With a record of 28: 0, he lost only one round in his entire MMA career – against– and dominated almost every second second that he was in the octagon.
In the other corner, possibly his nightmare match. Not only is Justin Gaethje a technical bat with concrete slabs for the hands (and perhaps the best kicks in MMA), he’s also a world class wrestler. The consensus is that Gaethje has a better chance than anyone of keeping this fight on his feet and outside of Nurmagomedov’s comfort zone – who likes to knock down opponents and destroy them with ground and pounds until they are deprived of life and energy. If you want more insight into this match, you can’t do better than Inside The Octagon with Dan Hardy. Great show, great insight.
If you want more information about the fight and the backstory leading up to the competition, I recommend UFC Countdown.
UFC 254’s card is pretty easy, with the exception of one fight: a middleweight contest between former champ Robert Whittaker and Jared Cannonier. This one is going to be an absolute blast so don’t miss out. Whittaker is one of the all-time UFC middleweights, and Cannonier has been a wrecking ball for the past few years. The winner will most likely compete against the current championso turn it on.
How to watch UFC 254
This year the UFC entered into a new partnership with ESPN. This is good news for the UFC and the expansion of the MMA sport, but bad news for consumer choice. Especially if you are one of those UFC fans who want to see UFC live in the US.
In the US, if you want to know how to watch UFC 254, the only way to find fight night is through ESPN Plus on PPV. The cost structure is a bit confusing, but according to the ESPN website, this is where the options are to watch UFC on ESPN.
- Existing annual ESPN Plus subscribers can order the upcoming UFC fight for $ 65.
- Existing monthly ESPN Plus subscribers can either upgrade to an annual plan and purchase UFC PPV for $ 85, or the option to watch the UFC event on PPV for $ 65 for themselves.
- New ESPN Plus subscribers can purchase a bundle of a UFC streaming in HD (HD) event and annual ESPN Plus recurring subscription for $ 85. The annual ESPN Plus ESPN subscription automatically renews after one year at the price of an ESPN Plus annual subscription at the time of the automatic renewal.
You can follow all of the above at the link below.
MMA fans in the United Kingdom can watch UFC 254 exclusively through BT Sport. There are more options when you live in Australia. You can watch UFC 254 through Main Event on Foxtel. You can also watch on the UFC website or through their app. You can even order using your PlayStation 4 or the UFC app on your Xbox One.
That’s funny. Usually UFC events have the same start times. This time it’s completely upside down. So pay close attention to the following times. For those in other regions, the UFC has a great list of tee times.
- The primary card begins October 24 at 2 p.m. ET (11 a.m. PT).
- Preliminary rounds begin October 24th at 12 p.m. ET (9 a.m. PT).
- The early preliminaries begin Oct. 24 at 10:15 a.m. ET (7:15 p.m. PT).
- The main ticket starts on October 24th at 7 p.m. CET.
- The preliminary rounds begin on October 24th at 5 p.m. CET.
- The early preliminary rounds begin on October 24th at 3.15 a.m.CET.
- The main card begins on October 25th at 5am AEDT.
- The preliminary rounds will start on October 25th at 3 a.m. (AEDT).
- The early preliminary rounds begin on October 25th at 1:15 a.m. AEDT.
This card is subject to change. A match planned for the first rounds, Umar Nurmagomedov versus Sergey Morozov, was canceled after Umar Nurmagomedov contracted a nasty staph infection. Expect the card to shuffle around a bit to accommodate it. We will update when we have more specific details.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov versus Justin Gaethje,
- Robert Whittaker versus Jared Cannonier
- Alexander Volkov versus Walt Harris
- Jacob Malhoun versus Phil Hawes
- Cynthia Calvillo versus Lauren Murphy
- Magomed Ankalaev versus Ion Cutelaba
- Stefan Struve versus Tai Tuivasa
- Alex Oliveira versus Shavkat Rahkmonov
- Da-un Ung against Sam Alvey
- Nathaniel Wood versus Casey Kenney
- Liana Jojua versus Miranda Maverick
- Joel Alvarez versus Alexander Yakovlev