Trump calls for ‘no violence’ as more armed protests reportedly planned for US, state capitals
President Donald Trump on Wednesday released a video statement Using the White House Twitter account, he condemns the violence caused by a crowd of his supporters who stormed the US Capitol last week. The news comes as reports say the US could see more armed protests across the country in the run-up to President-elect Joe Biden .
“Violence and vandalism have absolutely no place in our country,” said Trump. “Mob violence goes against everything I believe in and what our movement stands for. No true supporter of mine could ever advocate political violence.”
An internal ABC News FBI bulletin warns that another armed protest could take place in the US Capitol.
“Armed protests are scheduled from January 16 to at least January 20 in all 50 state capitals and January 17 to 20 in the US Capitol,” said Aaron Katersky, correspondent for ABC News tweeted via the FBI bulletin on Monday.
on Capitol Hill assault investigation on Tuesday. So far, 100,000 pieces of evidence of the riots have been collected.
The FBI said that while it is customary not to comment on current investigations, it can say that it “assists our state, local, and federal law enforcement partners in maintaining public safety in the communities in which we operate”.
“Our efforts are focused on identifying, investigating and disturbing individuals who incite violence and engage in criminal activity,” the FBI told CNET in a statement it emailed. “We collect information to identify possible threats. We do not focus on peaceful protesters, but on those who threaten their safety and the safety of other citizens with violence and property destruction.”
According to Huffpost’s report of a private phone call between officials and House Democrats, Capitol Police informed lawmakers on Monday of possible upcoming demonstrations. Trump also said in his video message that he had been informed of the possible threats by US intelligence. Federal agencies have been instructed “to use all resources necessary to maintain order,” he added, and thousands of National Guard members will work to keep Washington, DC safe.
“There must be no violence, no violation of the law and no vandalism of any kind,” said the president.
Michigan attorney general Dana Nessel tweeted Tuesday about her concerns, saying the state capital is “not safe”.
Twitter, which permanently banned Trump’s account last week, noted this Plans for future protests were circulating on and off Twitter. The social media site made explicit reference to planned secondary attacks on the U.S. Capitol and the buildings of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 17.
Social media companies took action against Trump after a crowd of his supporters broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6. Five people died and lawmakers had to flee while they were about to confirm the 2020 election results. In addition to the Twitter ban, Facebook has blocked Trump indefinitely. Since the fatal attackabout the or voluntary resignation.
CNET’s Abrar Al-Heeti contributed to this report.