The flurry of summer gaming showcases is finally upon us, and Sony is the one kicking things up. After a 20-month wait and several smaller presentations, we’re finally getting another PlayStation Showcase where we’ll see what’s next for first-party, third-party, and indie games on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation VR2.
Outside of that, Sony has been quite elusive about confirming what will be shown over the course of this hourlong live stream. Still, we hope to see new looks at upcoming 2023 PS5 exclusives like Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and learn about some of the killer apps that are on the way for PSVR2.
Regardless, this is shaping up to be the most important PlayStation event since the 2021 presentation that revealed titles like Marvel’s Wolverine and the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake. As this is going to be a densely packed show, it may be tough to keep track of everything announced. That is why we’re going to be updating this article throughout the May 2023 PlayStation Showcase with every announcement made.
Haven Studios unveiled Fairgame$
Table of Contents
Haven Studios, a PlayStation-owned developer founded by Ubisoft, EA, and Stadia alumnus Jade Raymond, unveiled its first game to kick off the showcase. It’s called Fairgame$, and it’s a PvPvE heist game where players compete to steal from the rich. It does not have a release window, but Haven Studios detailed its vision for the title on PlayStation Blog and confirmed Fairgame$ is coming to both PS5 and PC.
Square Enix announces multiplayer game Foamstars
Square Enix showed up during the PlayStation Showcase to reveal a new multiplayer game called Foamstars which looks like a Splatoon-inspired third-person shooter where players try to spread foam around an arena while fighting each other. The foam laid down also impacts how players can move around the map during these 4v4 matches. Foamstars is coming to PS4 and PS5.
Konami announces Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater remake and classic MGS collection
During the PlayStation Showcase, Konami revealed its plan to revive the Metal Gear series with a remake of Metal Gear Solid 3which is considered by many to be the best entry in the series. Its reveal trailer is a bit of a misdirect, as it focuses on a lot of animals attacking each other before revealing Snake. Obviously, it does not appear that Hideo Kojima is involved in the project. The Snake Eater remake does not have a release date, but a collection that includes the first three Metal Gear Solid games is launching this autumn.
Bungie is reviving Marathon
Bungie, which was acquired by PlayStation last year, revealed that it will be reviving its Marathon series. It is a sci-fi PvP extraction shooter, and it will be released for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X.
Project Q and PlayStation earbuds revealed
Jim Ryan popped up towards the end of the showcase to reveal two new pieces of technology that Sony is working on. One is called Project Q, and is a cloud gaming device that players can stream games from. Sony is also working on wireless PlayStation-themed earbuds.
- Helldivers 2 was revealed, and it will release for PS5 and PC later this year.
- Immortals of Aveum got a new trailer.
- Ghostrunner 2 got a 2023 release window.
- Phantom Blade got a lengthy reveal trailer that also showcased a lot of gameplay.
- Sword of the Sea was announced for PS5.
- The Talos Principle II was announced and launches later this year.
- The developers of Gris announced Nevawhich will release in 2024.
- Cat Quest: Pirates of the Purribean was unveiled ahead of its 2024 release.
- The Plucky Squire got a new trailer.
- Teardown is coming to PS5.
- Alan Wake 2 got a new trailer that featured a little bit of gameplay and revealed the long-awaited sequel’s October 17 release date.
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage gameplay was finally revealed, and it looks more in line with the action and parkour from the series’ earlier titles. We also learned that it will release on October 12.
- Finji revealed Revenant Hill for PS5.
- Granblue Fantasy Relink got a winter 2023 release window.
- Street Fighter 6 got a new trailer that focused on its World Tour mode.
- ultros was announced with a 2024 release window.
- Tower of Fantasy is coming to PS5.
- Dragon’s Dogma II got a gameplay reveal.
- Five Nights at Freddy’s Help Wanted 2 was announced with a “late 2023” release window.
- We got our first look at gameplay from the upcoming VR mode for the Resident Evil 4 remake.
- Zombie shooter Arizona Sunshine II was revealed and comes to PSVR2 later this year.
- Crossfire Sierra Squad for PlayStation VR2 got a new trailer.
- VR FPS Synapse releases on July 4.
- Beat Saber finally comes to PlayStation VR2 today, as does a music DLC pack for it featuring Queen’s music.
- Destiny 2: The Final Shape was teased, and we’ll learn more during a Destiny-focused showcase this August.
- Concorda Firewalk Studios titled that Sony Interactive Entertainment is published, was revealed with a 2024 release window.
- Gran Turismo’s movie got a teaser.